23 March 2012

Into the Abyss: A Tale of Life, A Tale of Death (Werner Herzog, 2011)

As always, Herzog is more interested here in his human subjects than what his documentary is actually about, in this case the death penalty. The genius of the film is how through this humanist study it manages to completely condemn the death penalty without delving into the case or justice system. Most documentaries of similar subject matter tend to be incredibly didactic (Michael Moore). Herzog avoids any sort of preaching, as one of the reviewers in the trailer says, he simply looks. All of these people's lives become a reflection on society and circumstances exposing how ridiculous the death penalty is. At the same time it's a film that has to be reflected upon, and perhaps even demands repeat viewings. While the film had this particular effect on me I also believe it could have a completely different effect on someone else. Whether that is a negative or positive aspect of the film I'm not sure. What I am aware of is that the film had a lasting impression on me and it's a film I plan to revisit many times.

Now Playing at Athens Cine on 35mm.

2 comments: