31 January 2012

3D...

Notes on my first 3D experience (the film I saw was Hugo):

The first (unexpected part of the experience) - starts as early as the concession stand, where to my surprise after purchasing my ticket they hand me a pair of glasses. Of course I'm aware that you need glasses for 3D but I've never been given a pair of glasses after buying tickets so it didn't feel right.

The second - I'm commanded to put on my glasses during a preview, which I do. As soon as the preview starts I have to immediately take them off. I thought there was a smudge or something on my glasses. It didn't look right. So I take them off until the film.

The whole film - Is this 3D? It simply looks like a bad digital copy. Exactly like pirated screeners or cam versions that roam the internet. I can't believe people are buying into this gimmick. In no less than 20 years we'll be looking back at this moment in cinema history laughing. It'll sound as ridiculous to us then as the 50s gags (e.g. Smell-O-Vision) sound to us now.

Three dimensions - How is this even 3 dimension? Everything is still seen completely within the frame. The 3D effect simply produces somewhat more of an awareness of depth. Something accomplished, somewhat ironically, in The Mill and the Cross. Yet this film isn't in '3D'. I don't understand what is considered 3-dimensional about the effect produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment